Samples from an ongoing Urban Study about Streetscapes, as part of the Environmental Design Studio, University of Calgary, Barcelona Term-Abroad Program, Autumn 2010
Stephanie Yeung/Chris Beaudin/Farheen Hasanali
– mapping Cerdà grid: Ciutat Vella versus Eixample: non-hierarchical branching / rhizome
– macro grid relationships / micro grid relationships
– sectional analysis: exploring perception of enclosure and intimacy
– creation of 3rd typology, indication of perceptual boundaries
– extension of grid lines: amplification of unexpected view corridors and moments
– program intensification + spatial diagram: all systems overlaid, unique spaces result from leftover geometries
Grace Coulter, Michael McGie, Gabriel Didiano
– Preliminary site analysis: 10 sites selected, based on geometric eccentricities within the Cerdà grid.
– Analysing boundary conditions of each site, permeability and porosity.
– Site experiments, activity distribution, spatial configuration and movement through the site
Jo Ho, Brett Osness, Madyson McKay
– Population Rhythms
– On site experiment: Diagonal: geometry and its effect on urban behavior.
– Public Interface Mapping / Morphology Configuration Diagrams of 10 selected sites
To be continued…